Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy Crepe Day !!!!

Happy "Chandeleur" !!!!



Yes ! Crepes have a special day (at least in France !), and it is tomorrow, Tuesday February 2nd. It is called "Chandeleur", or "Fete de la Lumiere" (roughly translated as candlemas), in reference to the purification of the Virgin Mary. Once again, the French turned a catholic holiday into a feast :)


So stock up on milk, flour and eggs, as well as your favorite fillings, be it jams, jellies, chocolate, Nutella, honey, ice cream, cooked fruits,...and that's just for dessert! Crepes can also serve as a very soft wrap for any main entree. How else can you make it a feast ??!!!

Make sure you give yourself some time before dinner. It takes 10 minutes to make the batter, but it has to rest for at least an hour. Go back to my earlier crepe posts for recipes:
Enjoy !

2 comments:

  1. I have not done crepes in such a long time. I love them with berries then topped with creme fraiche and melted chocolate. I know what I will be making tonight! Merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I made a pile last night (half gallon milk!). They are best when still warm, so I had a few with Bonne Maman cherry jam (with chunks of cherries!):)
    I like mine with jams or Nutella. Or when I get fancy, vanilla ice cream, homemade whipped cream and melted chocolate. Hmmmm....Oh, plain sugar with sprinkles of Grand Marnier is excellent too. That's my dad's favorite.

    ReplyDelete