Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"Julie & Julia" - Must-see movie for all foodies !


Tuesday, I stepped out of the kitchen and into a dark room to see the latest Meryl Streep movie about Julia Child, famed French cooking advocate, and Julie Powell, foodie enthusiast who blogged her way through Julia's cookbook.
I love Meryl Streep, she is one of the most gifted actresses of her generation, regularly nominated at the Oscars for her memorable roles. I bet her turn as Julia Child will be no exception.
I plainly and simply loved the movie. It was charming, witty, funny, and I quickly rooted for and empathized with both main characters as they went through their lives with a culinary obsession. My favorite parts in the movie are many, especially Julia's affair with french cooking. Or just french food (ah, brie and cheese...). What started as a pasttime for bored housewife quickly turned into the focus of her life. Her fierce determination to prove that she can be as good a cook as any other male counterpart was plainly demonstrated in the onion sequence, where she practiced cutting a huge pile of onions until she got it right, tears and all. Her sheer focus is further exemplified in the gruesome translation of recipes for english cooks and the numerous edits over the years to get it just right. Back then it was all typed with carbon paper !
I admit I did not know Julia Child, I am too young for her shows and I don't even have her cookbook (why would I, I already know how wonderful and delicious french cooking is...grin). This wonderful gem of a movie opened my eyes. I discovered an exceptionally strong-willed being who infused her life with her passion for cooking, breaking gender and cultural barriers to master a sensual art and make it available to anyone.
The movie was truly inspiring. And when the credits came rolling in, boy, was I hungry !!!

Two thumbs up and a growling stomach !!!

2 comments:

  1. Great review Pierre. I want to go see it now! -- Carolyn from Clay Assoc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think of it ! Enjoy the movie !

    ReplyDelete