Sunday, August 30, 2009

A local french cuisine to remember...


Today the action is not in my kitchen but in Chef Olivier Bioteau's from Farm House Cafe in Normal Heights, San Diego.
I have been eyeing the local french restaurant for over a year, with the silent vow of discovering their menu as a celebration for getting a new job. This week my wish was granted ! My faithful sidekick Arnold and I went on Friday, two starving adventurers on the prowl for french food.
Reservation in hand, we got a table on the patio. In retrospect that was a good choice. Too noisy inside for my taste. We got to enjoy the sunset and a night breeze while sharing the charcuterie plate, accompanied with a full glass of Vacqueyras, a french full body yet supple red wine from Provence that will make your head spin. If you like Chateauneuf-du-Pape, you have to try Vacqueyras. The charcuterie plate had several cold cuts from mild to spicy, including garlic sausages, cured duck, and pate, easily shared between two or three people. I wished the bread was better, but you may have to be in France for that :)
For the main course we both chose the alaskan keta salmon. What sold me was the basil puree on top to impart that extra flavoring I like so much. It was served with fingerling potatoes cooked in a broth with onions and spices. The fish was seared, cooked on both sides yet still soft on the inside. As such, it melts in your mouth. Don't make them cook it through !
I was ready for dessert ! I had already drooled on their website in the morning. Setting foot in the restaurant I knew what was going to end a delicious evening. The Almond Panna Cotta ! The website picture exactly depicts what was delivered in front of me. Spoon in hand I dove into pure creamy bliss. Texture reminded me of a thick and firm custard. Very sweet and with a definite almond flavor. I slowly enjoyed every bites. Arnold got the peach upsidedown cake with lavender-infused ice cream. It was good, but I liked mine better :)
We were winding down our dinner experience when the hostess, Rochelle Bioteau, generously offered us some champagne at the bar. Our table needed to be prepped for the next guests. Friday is a busy night at the Farm House, and it would be shameful to deprive others from the delices Chef Olivier Bioteau serves in his fine establishment. Then I could not resist, I asked her to try a small piece of her husband's homemade chocolates. She gracefully complied, with a knowingly smile. Ah, yes, our evening was truly complete. Try the chocolates if you can!
Olivier, Rochelle, you'll see me again but I won't wait for another job opportunity to steer me your way.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting review. It might be difficult to find some really good French bread outside of France. It doesn't mean the French food served at Farm House Cafe is bad. Chef Olivier Bioteau is very talented.

    Cathy
    French course

    ReplyDelete