Monday, September 7, 2009

For the fig lovers...

Fig and Almond Cake

I can't believe Summer is almost over ! Same mantra every year. And here I am trying to catch up on Summer activities I should have done weeks ago, like going to the beach, biking along the river, or kayaking in the Bay (still on to-do list). On top of that, I started a new job last week, and, boy, was I tired by the end of the week !!! Needless to say, my kitchen turned into a ghost town, snacking on leftovers, takeouts, and 3-minutes sandwiches. That reminds me I should write a post just on my 3-minutes sandwiches (mental note).
Labor Day week-end came around none too soon for me to catch my breath. And take a look at the backyard. Several years ago we planted a small fig tree in the back. I love figs. Provence is fig country. Century-old, tall and gnarly fig trees with long branches full of sweet dark purple bombs waiting to explode in your mouth. "Drops of Gold" are the sweetest kind, with a sweet juicy yellow inside. Anyway, the tree has grown exponentially and been offering loads of fruits two Summers in a row, this one included. Birds, dog and myself have been delightfully enjoying its offerings.
With Summer's end comes the fig grand finale. They are all ripening at once, my fridge is full ! But when life hands you figs, you make.....a fig cake !!! Isn't everything better with sugar and butter ? (grin)
So here is the recipe I used to make a light cake with fig bits and almonds, and with a taste of honey.

Ingredients:
  • 6 oz sweet cream butter
  • 3 oz sugar
  • 5 tbs liquid honey
  • 2 egg + 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 9 oz flour
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 6 ripe figs, cut in small pieces
  • baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon almond flavor
  • almond slices for decoration

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 370F.
  2. Soften the butter (I use the microwave for 15 sec) and mix in with sugar, egg yolks and honey.
  3. Add the half and half and the 2 eggs, mix well.
  4. Mix in the flour, almond flour, and baking powder.
  5. Add almond flavor and the ripe figs, mix well.
  6. Pour into a greased pan. In retrospect I recommend lining with baking paper, it will be much easier to remove from the pan.
  7. Sprinkle almond slices on top for decoration.
  8. Bake at 370F for 1h.
If you don't want to use honey, simply use more sugar instead, like 1/2 cup.
Surprisingly, the cake did not raise as much as I thought it would, though it was light and moist. Maybe because I split the cake batter into two small pans, instead of using a medium pan.
It was still very good, especially still warm, with a scoop of pistachio ice cream...Yummmmm !!!!

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I were the lucky tasters for the fig cake (among others). OMG!!!! This was fantastic. So buttery and the little fig seeds added great texture. We LOVED it and would have eatent he whole cake if allowed.

    ReplyDelete